Friday, December 20, 2013

Kitchen Remodel....Let's tear out that floor!

How to Tear out Mexican tile that was laid with Cement Floor Leveling Mix (Not tile adhesive mind you, but Thin Set) .
The first thing I did was start busting out the tile.  I used a small sledge hammer and pick....that helped relieve some of my pent up anger towards the tile, but it was exhausting.  I got horrible blisters and I Could not hold a cup to drink.  Not good.
I filled up the broken pieces into used shipping boxes so I could place one a week into the dumpster in the alley.  Yes, here in Midland we have community dumpsters and not garbage cans.  Great really.  You can unload a lot of garbage in one day.
I got this much done in a week and the light went off in my head.....there has to be a better way!  So I went and rented one of these!
Add caption
Oh My Gosh!!!! ELECTRIC HAMMER.  The most fun, easy to use and efficient way to tear up tile!!!!  I have fallen in love. (NOTE:  Buy a face guard helmet thingy, you will need it with all the flying tile).  All I had to do was squeeze the button, lean on it and it would start hammering away.  SO MUCH FUN!!!  Within an hour I had so much done.
Then I packed up the salvage pieces
Then next day I moved out the fridge and dishwasher and did the last part.  Returned the hammer on Monday and smiled for 2 weeks!
BAM !  Floor done.......next step is to reface the cabinet door


No comments:

Post a Comment